Glen Adamson Thinking Through Craft; Chapter 3; Skilled, Oxford: Berg, 2007, pp. 69-101
Glen Adamson has curated, written essays for exhibition catalogues, published articles and reviews and written and edited several books about craft and design in the 20th century. He has a BA and a PhD in Art History at Cornell and Yale universities, respectively and has held positions such as Deputy Head of Research and Head of Graduate Studies at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
As a result of reading this chapter, Skilled, I cannot help but take a position on the question of the application of skill in art making. It also brought to mind an idea that Sol Lewitt espoused in his “Paragraphs on Conceptual Art” (Lewitt)
Sol Lewitt considered that the idea is simply the most important aspect of the work and independent of the skill involved in realising the work. Personally I take the view that good, even excellent execution can only intensify the idea in a piece of art. That this level of skill, allows the making to fade into relative insignificance, leaving the idea of the work all the more visible.
I enjoy Lewitt’s “Sentences on Conceptual Art” (which follow his paragraphs) and find some of them pertinent to this subject and what I think about it. Sentence number 30:
“There are many elements involved in a work of art. The most important are the most obvious.” is actually very telling. I take from this that an obvious lack of skill in a work (and I include lack of attention to detail and poor finish as examples of poor skill) as therefore being the most important as it is most obvious.
On the other hand I am also a firm subscriber to sentence number 32:
“Banal ideas cannot be rescued by beautiful execution.”
After all, life really is too short for banal ideas.
Bibliography
Adamson, Glen. Thinking Through Craft. Oxford: Berg, 2007.
Lewitt, Sol. “Paragraphs on Conceptual Art.” Artforum (June, 1967): pp 79-84.
No comments:
Post a Comment